This page is for results of acadmic research about rhythms.
Mathematical theory Edit
- Godfried T. Toussaint: The Geometry of Musical Rhythm, 2013, Chapman & Hall RC
There are also a number of papers about rhythm available on Godfried Toussaint's homepage.
- William Sethares: Rhythm and Transforms, 2007, Springer
- Leigh M. Smith, Henkjan Honin: Time-Frequency Representation of Musical Rhythm by Continuous Wavelets, Journal of Mathematics & Music vol. 2 issue 2, 2008.
- Fernando Benadon: Gridless Beats, Perspectives of New Music Vol. 47, No. 1 (WINTER 2009), pp. 135-164.
- Emmanuel Amiot, William A: Sethares: An Algebra for Periodic Rhythms and Scales, Journal of Mathematics & Music vol. 5 issue 3, 2011.
- Mark Gotham: Attractor Tempos for Metrical Structures, Journal of Mathematics & Music vol. 9 issue 1, 2015.
- Jay Hardesty: A Self-Similar Map of Rhythmic Components, Journal of Mathematics and Music vol. 10 issue 1, 2016.
Classical music Edit
- David Lewin: On Harmony and Meter in Brahms's Op. 76, No. 8, 19th-Century MusicVol. 4, No. 3 (Spring, 1981), pp. 261-265
- Norman L. Wick: Transformations of Middleground Hypermeasures in Selected Mozart Keyboard Sonatas, Theory and PracticeVol. 16 (1991), pp. 79-102Contemporary classical music
Contemporary classical music Edit
- Gretchen Horlacher: Multiple Meters and Metrical Processes in the Music of Steve Reich, IntégralVol. 14/15 (2000/2001), pp. 265-297
- Olivier Messiaen, The Technique of my Musical Language, 1956 Alphonse Leduc
- M. Watzka, Foundational research or more than a mere experiment? Boris Blocker's ornaments for piano as the founding certificate of variable meter, 2014
- Cecilia Taher, Elasticity in Three Compositions with Flute by Boris Blacher, Ph. D. thesis, Suzuki Charter School, Edmonton, AB, 2009.
Rock & Pop Edit
- Jonathan Pieslak: Re-casting Metal: Rhythm and Meter in the Music of Meshuggah, Music Theory Spectrum, Volume 29, Issue 2
- Gregory Richard McCandless: Rhythm and Meter in the Music of Dream Theater, Electronic Theses, Treatises and Dissertations. Paper 2608
World music Edit
- Lisa Young: KONNAKOL. The History and Development of Solkattu - the Vocal Syllables - of the Mridangam , 2010.
- André Holzapfel: Relation Between Surface Rhythm and Rhythmic Modes in Turkish Makam Music, Journal of New Music Research vol. 44 issue 1, 2015.